Change In Family Status (Qualifying Life Event)

If you experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) or change in family status, you are able to make changes to who is covered under your benefits. Qualifying events include: Marriage, Divorce, Birth or Adoption, Loss or gain of other coverage (employee or dependent).

State Health Changes (Medical)
Typically, there is a 31 day window to initiate a change in benefits. This means that you have 31 days from the event date (ex: wedding day, loss / gain of coverage date) to make changes with State Health.  The only exception to this is the birth or adoption of a child, as you have 90 days from the date of birth.  If you miss the window, your next opportunity to change will be during the next open enrollment period, and coverage would not begin until January 1st of the new year.

Making a Change for State Health (Medical)

  1. Gather documentation.  Hospital issued birth certificate and social security number for your new baby, or marriage license/spouse's social security number for marriage. Other documentation showing benefit effective/termination date is required for gain/loss of coverage.  Your final decree would be required to remove your spouse as part of a divorce QLE.
  2. Access the SHBP/ADP portal.  The Registration code is: SHBP-GA if needed.
  3. Respond to requests from ADP.  ADP will contact you with instructions and deadlines for submitting documents; be sure to respond to their request by the deadline provided to ensure the changes are processed.

Making a Change for all other Non Medical Benefits

  1. Contact our Benefits Service Center by calling (844) 635-0709 or emailing them at
  2. It might be necessary to contact TRS PSERS to report beneficiary changes or name changes

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.